POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Post POV? : Re: Post POV? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Post POV?
From: How Camp
Date: 4 May 2009 07:35:01
Message: <web.49fed1ad4eec845cc59235590@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> Myself, I still embrace Gilles' amateur-artist ideology.  When I first
> started working with POV I was excited and inspired by the POV creative
> process and the sense of exploration and discovery toward achieving
> professional results in free space.  I doubted I could ever catch the
> superstars, but I thought I might close the gap.  It is still thrilling
> to me to see POV attract some astonishing new talents, and to see the
> spirit of exploration in free space continue.  But the gap has widened.
>   The 'friction point' for innovation seems well out of my reach at this
> point. I undersand little of the innovations that excite the top talents
> now. But I still plod along. I still think it is a meaningful endeavor.

Thanks for this, and all the other interesting replies.  I think I tend to fall
into the same boat as Jim -- I find POV incredibly attractive from an
idealistic perspective.  It offers a raw potential that's open and accessible
to everyone.

But I sense that the gap is widening as well, and somehow that faintly bothers
me, though I can't specifically say why...